Holidays are a perfect time to share delicious vegan, plantbased dishes and meals with loved ones! A soup is easy and quick to make and most will just love it. Pumpkin is such a wonderful base for so many meals, especially during the colder months.
Comforting, thick and creamy, a delicious and easy way to get in lots of alkalizing nutrients thanks to broccoli, celery, and almonds. I topped mine with some gluten-free bread croutons, smoked paprika and parsley.
Hope you like it as much as we do!
Recipe: “Cheezy” Pumpkin Broccoli Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 3 cups chopped pumpkin (I used butternut)
- 4 cups vegetable broth, low salt optional
- 2 cups almond milk or other plant-based milk of your choice (you can add more or less depending on the thickness you prefer)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or flakes, optional
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Pink salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley and some for garnish
- Smoked paprika as a garnish, optional
Melt the oil and cook the chopped onion until translucent, about 5 – 6 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add celery and pumpkin, broth, nutritional yeast, cayenne and simmer until almost soft, about 10 – 12 minutes. I always add the broccoli later so I limit the cooking time, add it now and cook for a few more minutes.
Transfer the soup to the blender – divide in a few batches, add almond milk and blend until smooth or a bit chunky, how you like it. You can reheat the soup if you wish.
Stir in lemon juice, pink salt, and black pepper if needed, the chopped parsley and top it with some more parsley and smoked paprika.
I made some croutons from some older sourdough bread. To make these I cut the bread into cubes, baked it in a little olive oil and sprinkled it with garlic powder.
Let me know if you tried it!