We are just crusing along on this 10 Day Vegan Adventure! I call it an adventure because it is … discovering new tastes, new textures, new energy and may be also a new feeling about your diet and health. We are here to inspire you and to show how this lifestyle can be low fuss, delicious and doable.
So let’s get to today’s food, the three recipes are all raw and alkalizing,
- Veggie Sushi, grain free
- Thai Salad
- Green Milk
A plantbased sushi can of course be filled with rice but this time we are keeping it grain free and uncooked.
Ingredients for 2 rolls,
- 2 cups cubed parsnip, cauliflower or jicama, jicama is wonderful because it tastes a little sweet similar to sushi rice
- 1/2 tsp. pink salt
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp. brown rice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. liquid sweetener of your choice, maple syrup will colour the rice darker, you can also use some stevia
- plus 2 to 3 nori sheats
Place the cubed veggies in a foodprocessor and puls until the texture resembles the size of cooked rice grains. Turn it over on a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture. Add flavourings and taste. It should be a little sweet, salty and sour at the same time.
The filling, choose from or use a bit of all,
- bell pepper
- sprouts, I used sunflower
- cucumber, without the seeds
- spring onion
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- wasabi and pickled ginger to serve
Slice the veggies thinly, leave the sprouts as they are.
The filling should be enough for 2 to 3 nori rolls. Place the sheat on a bamboo mat with the shiny side down. Place about 1/2 cup of the “rice” on the 1/3 part of the sheat closest to you leaving 1 inch clear at the bottom. Place some thinly sliced veggies in the middle of the rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Roll up firmly using the mat to make it tight. Wet the top edge and seal it with a little water. Leave it for 5 minutes and cut 1 roll into 6 pieces. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
To dip, serve with some Braggs Aminos or Nama Shoyu. I mix 1/4 cup of braggs or tamari with 1 Tbsp. sweetener of your choice or stevia, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and 2 Tbsp. water to make it lighter and less salty tasting.
The orange sauce on the plate is made of a cashew cream, just blended cashews with a little water, fresh ginger, a few pieces of a red bell pepper, 1 tsp. braggs aminos.
Once you rolled one, you get the hang of it and I’m sure you will be making it often!
This is not just a salad …
Ingredients for 2,
- 3 to 4 handfulls of soft green leaves like spinach, baby lettuce or baby kale
- 1/4 cup soaked, finely sliced sundried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. crunchy ( curried ) cashews, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely diced pineapple
- 1/4 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup young coconut meat, finely sliced, but it does add a lot of flavour to this thai inspire salad
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 chopped red chilli pepper, without the seeds, you can use less for a milder dressing
- 2 tsp. sesame oil, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chooped
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. liquid sweetener of your choice or some stevia
- 1 clove of garlic
- pink salt and black peper to taste
Blend the ingredients until smooth. I use a small blender for this. You can also put everything in a small glass jar and shake it until it comes together. You would need to chop the chilli pepper and the cilantro realy fine if not using a blender.
I don’t know if I can call this a “recipe”, but I have to tell you, this is so delicious and adictive ….
You will be needing a green juice, fresh or bought. This makes about 20oz / 600ml of Green Mylk.
I made a juice out of kale, swiss chard, spinach, cucumber, green apple, lemon and fresh mint. I do pour it through a sieve becasue for the mylk I want it to be totaly smooth.
For 20oz / 600ml, blend 10oz / 300ml of the juice with 10oz / 300ml almond- or any other plantbased milk of your choice until frothy. Add a few drops of vanilla and some stevia for a sweeter result. And yes, you can just blend the veggies with the nut milk but it is NOT the same. This is so light and creamy! Love it ….
Click HERE to see Ali prepare her famous Vegan Matcha Latte. A great substitution if your trying to get off coffee!
You can join in or start this 10 Day Vegan adventure whenever you like! Start HERE, at Day 1.
Hope you like the recipes, let me know if you tried them. You can also post your pics in Ali’s FB group Beautiful Yogi’s so we can all see what you have created! Let me know if you any have questions!