I have been doing a lot of recipes with my sourdough discard. Feeding your starter once a day produces a lot of discard sourdough starter and I haven’t thrown out any of it.
I have made pizza, pancakes, cast iron bread cakes, biscuits, applesauce pie and a few other things with it.
This post is an idea/recipe of what you can do with you extra starter.
Granola or Cookie bars. I call them Sourdough Cliff Bars.
Vegan, Dairy- Free, Soy Free.
You can make them very low in gluten by feeding your starter with rye. I mostly feed my starter with rye plus some whole wheat flour.
- A mix of nuts. I used about 3/4 of a cup of freshly roasted hazelnuts and pecans plus some cashews.
- I used a mixed nut butter. 1-2 tbsp. You can use peanut butter.
- Sugar- honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc. To your linking.
- I also added dried fruits. I added prunes, mango, cranberries and ground dates.
- About 3/4 of a cup of instant oats.
- Acup of starter
- A pinch of Salt
- Chocolate which I blended in the mix but you can add it last and mix it in as chocolate chip.
- Chocolate on top.
- A bit of nut milk in order to blend everything.
- A few extra oats hand mixed at the end in order to thicken everything up.
Note: I only blended all the nuts because I have a toddler who is not supposed to eat whole nuts. Otherwise, you can leave 1/3rd of the nuts not blended. I also chose to blend the fruit but next time I will leave it whole for an extra chewy element.
Blend everything and spread it on parchment paper. I added pieces of chocolate on top.
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 F. Spread the melted chocolate over the bars.
Let it cool.
Wrap it individually or store in the fridge.